Place:


Alkerton  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Alkerton like this:

ALKERTON, or Awkerington, a parish in Banbury district, Oxford; on the verge of the county, 6 miles WNW of Banbury r. station. Post Town, Shennington under Banbury. Acres, 650. Real property, £1,316. Pop., 194. Houses, 49. The property is not much divided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. ...


Value, £153. Patron, the Rev. R. E. Hughes. The church contains, in its external courses, some curious figures of acolytes censing; and is in tolerable condition. The learned but unfortunate mathematician, Thomas Lydiat, who lived in 1572-1646, was a native of the parish, and for some time its rector.

If dreams yet flatter, once again attend,
Hear Lydiat's life, and Galileo's end.

Alkerton through time

Alkerton is now part of Cherwell district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cherwell has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Alkerton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Alkerton, in Cherwell and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9112

Date accessed: 23rd May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Alkerton ".