Place:


Kidsgrove  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kidsgrove like this:

KIDSGROVE, a village in Wolstanton parish, and a chapelry partly also in Audley parish, Stafford.. The village stands near the Grand Trunk canal, the junction of the Crewe, Stoke, and Uttoxeter railway with the North Stafford line to Macclesfield, and near the boundary with Cheshire, 7 miles NNW of Stoke-upon-Trent; and has a station with telegraph at the railway junction, and a post office‡ under Stoke-upon-Trent. ...


The chapelry was constituted in 1852. Pop. in 1861, 3, 697. Houses, 691. Pop. of the Wolstanton portion, 3, 380. Houses, 633. The inhabitants are employed chiefly in the manufacture of bar iron and in mining. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £280.* Patron, Mrs. Kinnersly. The church is modern.

Kidsgrove through time

Kidsgrove is now part of Newcastle under Lyme district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newcastle under Lyme has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kidsgrove itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kidsgrove, in Newcastle under Lyme and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/91

Date accessed: 28th July 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kidsgrove ".