Place:


Ellingham  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ellingham like this:

ELLINGHAM, a township in Belford district, and a parish partly also in Alnwick district, Northumberland. The township lies 2 miles WSW of Chathill r. station, and 6½ SSE of Belford; and has a post office under Chathill. Acres, 3, 109. Pop., 280. Houses, 46. The parish contains also the townships of Chathill, Preston, Doxford, North Charlton, and South Charlton. ...


Acres, 9, 124. Real property, £8, 790; of which £40 are in mines. Pop., 813. Houses, 157. The property is divided among a few. Ellingham Hall is the seat of Sir John Haggerston, Bart. The manor belonged, in the time of Henry III., to Ralph de Gangy. Coal and limestone occur. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £538.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church dates from the 12th century; and was recently rebuilt. The p. curacy of South Charlton is a separate benefice.

Ellingham through time

Ellingham is now part of Berwick upon Tweed district. Click here for graphs and data of how Berwick upon Tweed has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ellingham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ellingham, in Berwick upon Tweed and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9098

Date accessed: 23rd October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ellingham ".