Place:


Doddington  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Doddington like this:

DODDINGTON, a township and a parish in Glendale district, Northumberland. The township lies near the river Till, 3¼ miles N of Wooler, and 8½ SW of Beal r. station; and has a post office under Alnwick. Acres, 4, 798. Pop., 381. Houses, 74. The parish contains also the townships of Nesbit, Ewart, Humbleton, and Earl. ...


Acres, 9, 110. Real property, £10, 182. Pop., 795. Houses, 158. The property is divided among a few. Coal is worked. The parish is a resort of sportsmen. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, 360.* Patron, the Duke of Northumberland. The church is early English, and good.

Doddington through time

Doddington is now part of Berwick upon Tweed district. Click here for graphs and data of how Berwick upon Tweed has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Doddington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Doddington, in Berwick upon Tweed and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9083

Date accessed: 18th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Doddington ".