Place:


West Denton  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Denton like this:

DENTON (West), a township in Newburn parish, Northumberland; on the Roman wall, near the river Tyne, 4¼ miles WNW of Newcastle-upon Tyne. Acres, 329. Pop., 466. Houses, 97. Denton Hall belonged to the Erringtons and the Rogerses; passed to the Hoyles; and was the residence of Mrs. Montagu, visited by Garrick, Sir J. Reynolds, and Dr. Johnson.

West Denton through time

West Denton is now part of Newcastle upon Tyne district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newcastle upon Tyne has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Denton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Denton, in Newcastle upon Tyne and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9075

Date accessed: 13th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Denton ".