Place:


Adwell  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Adwell like this:

ADWELL, a parish in Thame district, Oxford; near the Chiltern hills, 2 miles SSE of Tetsworth, and 12 NE of Wallingford Road r. station. Post Town, Tetsworth. Acres, 439. Real property, £798. Pop., 68. Houses, 12. Adwell House is the chief residence. Adwell Cop is an ancient entrenchment supposed to have been constructed by the Danes when they burnt Oxford in 1010. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £125. Patron, H. B. Reynardson, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1865.

Adwell through time

Adwell is now part of South Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Adwell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Adwell in South Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9074

Date accessed: 25th November 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Adwell ".