Place:


Treyford  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Treyford like this:

TREYFORD, a parish in Midhurst district, Sussex; 2 miles SSE of Elsted r. station, and 5 WSW of Midhurst. Post town, Petersfield. Acres, 1,260. Real property, £886. Pop., 123. Houses, 30. The manor was given, after the Norman conquest, to Earl Montgomery; and passed to Newton abbey, W. Aylwin, Sir J. Peachey, Lord Selsey, and others. The living is annexed to Elsted. The old church is disused, and the new one was built in 1849.

Treyford through time

Treyford is now part of Chichester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chichester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Treyford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Treyford, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9041

Date accessed: 19th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Treyford ".