Place:


Cresswell  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cresswell like this:

CRESSWELL, a township and a chapelry in Woodhorn parish, Northumberland. The township lies on the coast, 3½ miles ESE of Widrington r. station, and 7¼ NE of Morpeth. Post town, Ellington, under Morpeth. Acres, 1, 078. Pop., 244. Houses, 45. The chapelry is more extensive than the township: and was constituted in 1836. ...


Pop., 508. Houses, 91. Cresswell House, built in 1825 after designs by Shaw, is the seat of A. J.Baker, Esq. A very ancient tower here, 21½ feet by 16, consists of strong rude masonry. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value, £100.* Patron, A. J.Baker, Esq. The church is in the early English style.

Cresswell through time

Cresswell is now part of Castle Morpeth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Castle Morpeth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cresswell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cresswell, in Castle Morpeth and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8949

Date accessed: 24th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cresswell ".