Place:


Coupland  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Coupland like this:

COPELAND-CASTLE, an old seat in the north of Northumberland; on the river Glen, 4¼ miles NW of Wooler. It succeeded an older seat, which belonged to John de Copeland who took David II. prisoner; and it was built, in 1614, by the Wallaces; and passed to the Ogles.

Coupland through time

Coupland is now part of Berwick upon Tweed district. Click here for graphs and data of how Berwick upon Tweed has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Coupland itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Coupland, in Berwick upon Tweed and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8945

Date accessed: 11th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Coupland ".