Place:


Chollerton  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chollerton like this:

CHOLLERTON, a township, a parish, and a sub-district, in Hexham district, Northumberland. The township lies on the North Tyne river and the Border Counties railway, adjacent to the Roman wall, 6¼ miles NNW of Hexham; has a station on the railway; and includes the villages of Whiteside-Law and Little Swinburn. ...


Acres, 2, 817. Pop., 151. Houses, 26. The parish contains also the township of Barrasford, which has a post office under Hexham; and the townships of Colwell and Swinburn, and Gunnerton and Chipchase. Acres, 12, 950. Real property, £23, 657. Pop., 1, 156. Houses, 232. The property is subdivided. Swinburn and Chipchase are modern seats on the site of ancient castles. A victory was obtained in the south, at the Roman wall, in 635, by King Oswald over Ceadwallon. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £361.* Patron, the Rev.Bird. The church is good. The vicarage of Birtley is a separate benefice. -The sub-district contains three parishes, part of another, a parochial chapelry, and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 46, 230. Pop., 5, 365. Houses, 1, 013.

Chollerton through time

Chollerton is now part of Tynedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tynedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chollerton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chollerton, in Tynedale and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8928

Date accessed: 20th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chollerton ".