Place:


East Chevington  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Chevington like this:

CHEVINGTON, two townships and a chapelry in Warkworth parish, Northumberland. The townships are designated East and West; and they lie on the North-eastern railway, between Widdrington and Acklington stations, 5½ miles SSW of Warkworth. Acres, 2, 225, and 1,804. Real property, £ 6, 999; of which £ 1, 363 are in mines. ...


Pop., 651 and 161. Houses, 121 and 32. The chapelry was constituted in 1862; and is of somewhat less extent than the townships. Post town, Widdrington, under Morpeth. Pop., 635. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £350. Patron, the Bishop of Durham.

East Chevington through time

East Chevington is now part of Castle Morpeth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Castle Morpeth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about East Chevington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Chevington, in Castle Morpeth and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8924

Date accessed: 26th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " East Chevington ".