Place:


East Preston  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Preston like this:

PRESTON (East), a parish in Worthing district, Sussex; on the coast, ½ a mile S E of Angmering r. station, and 3 E of Littlehampton. Post-town, Little-hampton, under Arundel. Acres, 609; of which 120 are water. Real property, £1, 439. Pop., 320. Houses, 55. A workhouse for 19 parishes, constituting the East Preston poor-law union, is here; and, at the census of1861, had 82 inmates. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Ferring, in the diocese of Chichester. Charities, £14.

East Preston through time

East Preston is now part of Arun district. Click here for graphs and data of how Arun has changed over two centuries. For statistics about East Preston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Preston, in Arun and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8900

Date accessed: 18th January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " East Preston ".