Place:


Preston  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Preston like this:

PRESTON, a village, a parish, and a hundred, in Sussex. The village stands adjacent to the London and Brighton railway, in a fine valley, 1¼ mile N N W of Brighton r. station; and has a post-office under Brighton. The parish comprises 1, 286 acres; contains the Brightoncavalry barracks and the Brighton waterworks; and is in Steyning district. ...


Real property, £4, 198. Pop. in 1851, 906; in 1861, 1,044. Houses, 111. The property is divided among a few. There are several neatvillas. A new village, suburban to Brighton, and to becalled Prestonville, was in course of erection in 1868. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Hove, in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £306.* Patron, the Bishop of Chichester. The church is early English, and stands on the hill-side. There are an Independent chapel and a national school. The hundredcontains also Hove parish, comprises 2, 158 acres, and is in the rape of Lewes. Pop., 10, 668. Houses, 1, 367.

Preston through time

Preston is now part of Brighton and Hove district. Click here for graphs and data of how Brighton and Hove has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Preston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Preston, in Brighton and Hove and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8899

Date accessed: 23rd January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Preston ".