Place:


Piddinghoe  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Piddinghoe like this:

PIDDINGHOE, a parish in Lewes district, Sussex; on the river Ouse, adjacent to the Newhaven railway, 1¼mile N N W of Newhaven. It has a post-office under Lewes. Acres, 2, 658; of which 282 are water. Real property, £2, 310. Pop., 243. Houses, 49. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Lord Sheffield. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £157. Patron, the Rev. J. Hutchins. The church consists of nave, N aisle, and chancel, with round tower and shingled spire.

Piddinghoe through time

Piddinghoe is now part of Lewes district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lewes has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Piddinghoe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Piddinghoe, in Lewes and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8894

Date accessed: 10th April 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Piddinghoe ".