Place:


Penhurst  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Penhurst like this:

PENHURST, a parish in Battle district, Sussex; 3¾ miles W by N of Battle r. station. Post-town, Battle. Acres, 1, 462. Real property, £848. Pop., 105. Houses, 19. The property belongs to the Earl of Ashburnham. The living is a rectory, annexed to the vicarage of Ashburnham, in the diocese of Chichester. The church is early English, and has a small tower.

Penhurst through time

Penhurst is now part of Rother district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rother has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Penhurst itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Penhurst, in Rother and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8890

Date accessed: 03rd April 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Penhurst ".