Place:


Patching  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Patching like this:

PATCHING, a parish in Worthing district, Sussex; 2½ miles N N E of Angmering r. station, and 4¼ E by S of Arundel. It forms a hundred in the rape of Bramber; and has a post-office under Arundel. Acres, 1, 748. Real property, £1, 530. Pop., 275. Houses, 53. Most of the property is in one estate. Truffles abound inbeech woods here. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £218.* Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is good, and was embellished in 1856.

Patching through time

Patching is now part of Arun district. Click here for graphs and data of how Arun has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Patching itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Patching, in Arun and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8888

Date accessed: 04th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Patching ".