Place:


Parham  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Parham like this:

PARHAM, a parish in Thakeham district, Sussex; under the Downs, 3 miles S by E of Pulborough r. station, and 5¼ N N E of Arundel. Post-town, Storrington, under Hurstperpoint. Acres, 1, 264. Real property, £810. Pop., 71. Houses, 11. The property belongs to the Hon. R. Curzon. P. House was built, early in the 16th century, by Sir T. ...


Palmer; passed, in 1597, to the family of Bishop; is now the seat of the Hon. R. Curzon; exhibits interesting Tudor architecture, withsome modern additions; includes a gallery 158 feet long; contains a rich collection of portraits, pictures, armour, and articles of vertu; and stands in a rich park, wellstocked with deer. A cell to Glastonbury abbey was once in the parish. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £148. Patron, the Baroness De la Zouche. The church is later English, has a smallspire, and contains a curious leaden font.

Parham through time

Parham is now part of Horsham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Horsham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Parham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Parham, in Horsham and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8886

Date accessed: 29th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Parham ".