Place:


Nuthurst  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Nuthurst like this:

NUTHURST, a village and a parish in Horsham district, Sussex. The village stands near St. Leonard's forest, 2½ miles E by S of Southwater r. station, and 3½ S E of Horsham; and has a post-office under Horsham. The parish comprises 3, 260 acres. Real property, £3,083. Pop., 767. ...


Houses, 138. The property is subdivided. Nuthurst Lodge is the seat of R. Henderson, Esq.; and Swallowfield, of H. S. Bigg, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £480.* Patron, the Bishop of London. The church is early decorated English; was considerably enlarged in 1856, at a cost of £2, 400; comprises nave and chancel, with porch and shingle spire; has a beautiful carved oak roof, and some handsome stained glass windows; and contains a very ancient, octagonal, Purbeck marble font. A chapel of ease is at Copsale; and there is a national school.

Nuthurst through time

Nuthurst is now part of Horsham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Horsham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Nuthurst itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Nuthurst, in Horsham and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8872

Date accessed: 21st June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Nuthurst".