Place:


North Marden  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described North Marden like this:

MARDEN (NORTH), a parish in Westbourne, district, Sussex; 5½ miles SW by W of Midhurst r. station. Post town, Petersfield. Acres, 682. Real property, £358. Pop., 28. Houses, 6. The property is divided among a few. The manor is one of the four Meredens mentioned in Domesday book; was given, after the Conquest, to Roger, Earl Montgomery; belonged in 1475 to Sir George Browne; went, at his attainder in 1484, to the Crown; was given, by Queen Elizabeth, to William Grenefield; passed to the Jenmans, the Peckhams, and the Phippses; and belongs now to Commodore Hornby. ...


The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £70. Patron, Commodore Hornby. The church is early English, with circular E end: and was recently restored.

North Marden through time

North Marden is now part of Chichester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chichester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about North Marden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of North Marden, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8832

Date accessed: 16th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " North Marden ".