Place:


South Malling  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Malling like this:

MALLING (SOUTH), a parish in Lewes district, Sussex; on the river Ouse and on the Lewes branch of the London and Brighton railway, partly within Lewes borough, on the N side of Lewes. Post town, LewesAcres, 2,689. Rated property, £4,870. Pop., 716. Houses, 125. Pop. of the part within L. ...


borough, 499. Houses, 92. A collegiate establishment, for a dean, a chancellor, a precentor, a penitentiary, a sacristan, and a clerk, all prebendaries, anciently stood here; was given, at the dissolution, to Sir Thomas Palmer; and came to be represented by a mansion called the Deanery. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £150. Patron, G.Courthope, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1628; succeeded one of the 7th century, founded by Ceadwalla, king of the West Saxons; was repaired in 1837; and contains an altar-tomb to Sir W. Kemp. Eight persons were killed by a snow avalanche, from a hill within the parish, in Dec. 1836.

South Malling through time

South Malling is now part of Lewes district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lewes has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Malling itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Malling, in Lewes and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8822

Date accessed: 03rd December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Malling ".