Place:


Lodsworth  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lodsworth like this:

LODSWORTH, a parish in Midhurst district, Sussex; near the river Rother, 3½ miles NE of Midhurst r. station. It contains the hamlet of Lickfold; includes a detached tract, called Blackdown House; and has a post office under Petworth. Acres, 1,805. Real property, £2,214. Pop., 629. ...


Houses, 133. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged anciently to the Bishop of London; was then a liberty, enjoying certain exemptions; was given, by Henry VIII., to Sir Anthony Browne; and belongs now to the Earl of Egmont. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £58.* Patron, the Earl of Egmont. The church is ancient; comprises nave, aisles, transepts, and chancel, with a tower; has a kind of open cloister of timber-work on the S side; and was recently restored. There is a national school.

Lodsworth through time

Lodsworth is now part of Chichester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chichester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lodsworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lodsworth, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8810

Date accessed: 17th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lodsworth ".