Place:


Ifield  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ifield like this:

IFIELD, a village and a parish in Horsham district, Sussex. The village stands on the river Mole, 1½ mile NW of Crawley r. station, and 7 NE of Horsham; and has a post office under Crawley. The parish comprises 4, 1 16 acres. Real property, £5, 086. Pop., in 1851, 1, 112; in 1861, 1, 307. ...


Houses, 248. The property is much subdivided. The manor be1ongs to Lord Rodney and Capt. Pipon. Ifield Court House, an old moated building, was recently taken down; and a new house, not within the moat, was erected. Ironstone was formerly dug and smelted. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £217. * Patron, the Rev. R. N. Blaker. The church is early decorated English; comprises nave, ais1es, and chancel; and contains recumbent statues of a Knight Templar and his lady There is a Quakers' chapel. A Franciscan monastery was recently erected.

Ifield through time

Ifield is now part of Crawley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Crawley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ifield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ifield, in Crawley and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8703

Date accessed: 01st March 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ifield ".