Place:


Icklesham  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Icklesham like this:

ICKLESHAM, a village and a parish in Rye district, Sussex. The village stands 1½ mile SW of Winchelsea r. station, and has a post office under Rye. The parish extends to the coast; includes Rye-Harbour; and comprises 4, 760 acres of land, and 940 of water. Real property, £6, 579. Pop., 816. ...


Houses, 179. The property is subdivided. Striking views are obtained over Rye toward Dover. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Rye-Harbour, in the diocese of Chichester. Valne, £735.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is mainly Norman; shows interesting features; has an early decorated window; and has been carefully restored. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and alms houses.

Icklesham through time

Icklesham is now part of Rother district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rother has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Icklesham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Icklesham, in Rother and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8699

Date accessed: 26th January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Icklesham ".