Place:


Ancroft  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ancroft like this:

ANCROFT, a township and a parochial chapelry in Berwick district, Northumberland. The township lies in a pleasant vale, 4 miles NW of Scremerston r. sta tion, and 5½ S of Berwick; and has a post office under Berwick. The chapelry comprises also the townships of Cheswick, Haggerston, and Scremerston; lies along the coast; and is traversed by the Northeastern railway. ...


Acres, 10,210; of which 640 are water. Real property, £18,055,-of which £3,611 are in mines, quarries, and fisheries. Pop., 2,113. Houses, 378. The property is divided among a few. The chief residences are Cheswick House and Haggerston Castle. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £131.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church is a very old edifice, with a square tower; belonged formerly to Holy Island; and is in good condition. The vicarage of Scremerston is a separate benefice.

Ancroft through time

Ancroft is now part of Berwick upon Tweed district. Click here for graphs and data of how Berwick upon Tweed has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ancroft itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ancroft, in Berwick upon Tweed and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8684

Date accessed: 19th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ancroft ".