Place:


Clifton upon Dunsmore  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clifton upon Dunsmore like this:

CLIFTON-UPON-DUNSMORE, a township and a parish in Rugby district, Warwick. The township lies on the river Avon and the Oxford canal, adjacent to the Northwestern and the Stamford railways, in the vicinity of Watling-street, 2¼ miles ENE of Rugby; and has a post office, of the name of Clifton, under Rugby. ...


Acres, 2, 870. Real property, £3, 910. Pop., 379. Houses, 93. The parish contains also the townships of Brownsover and Newton-Biggin. Acres, 4, 902. Real property, £8, 969. Pop., 732. Houses, 169. The property is subdivided. The parish is a meet for the Atherstone hounds. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Brownsover, in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £119. Patron, the Earl of Bradford. The church is early English, in good condition, with an embattled tower; and there are charities £50. Carte, the historian, was a native.

Clifton upon Dunsmore through time

Clifton upon Dunsmore is now part of Rugby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rugby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clifton upon Dunsmore itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clifton upon Dunsmore, in Rugby and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8681

Date accessed: 12th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clifton upon Dunsmore ".