Place:


Alnmouth  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Alnmouth like this:

ALNMOUTH, or Alemouth, a seaport village, and a township-chapelry in Lesbury parish, Northumberland. The village stands on a small bay at the mouth of the river Alne, 2 miles E of Bilton r. station, and 5 ESE of Alnwick; has a post office under Alnwick; and is a sub-port to Berwick. Its harbour admits vessels of from 50 to 150 tons; and is used chiefly for coasting trade. ...


A chapel anciently stood adjacent on an eminence at the shore; and a burying-ground connected with it was in use till about the year 1815, but has been washed away by the sea. Horses' bones were once found here, and gave rise to a foolish belief that the neighbouring country was formerly peopled by giants.—The chapelry includes the village, and was recently reconstituted. Acres, 579. Pop., 452. Houses, 100. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value, £100. Patron, the Duke of Northumberland. The church was built in 1860; and there is a Wesleyan chapel.

Alnmouth through time

Alnmouth is now part of Alnwick district. Click here for graphs and data of how Alnwick has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Alnmouth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Alnmouth, in Alnwick and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8680

Date accessed: 03rd December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Alnmouth ".