Place:


Weston under Trent  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Weston under Trent like this:

WESTON-UPON-TRENT, a parish, with a village, in the district and county of Stafford; on the river Trent, the Grand Trunk canal, and the Trent Valley railway, 4½ miles NE by E of Stafford. It has a post-office under Stafford, and a r. station with telegraph. Acres, 825. Real property, £3,922. ...


Pop., 502. Houses, 110. The manor belongs to Earl Ferrers. There are extensive salt-works, supplied from brine-springs in Ingestre parish; and the manufacture of scythe stones is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £106.* Patron, the Rev.Inge. The church was rebuilt in 1829.

Weston under Trent through time

Weston under Trent is now part of Stafford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stafford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Weston under Trent itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Weston under Trent, in Stafford and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8599

Date accessed: 24th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Weston under Trent ".