Place:


Berkswell  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Berkswell like this:

BERKESWELL, or Berkswell, a parish in Meriden district, Warwick; on the Birmingham and Stafford railway, 6 miles W of Coventry. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Coventry. Acres, 5,958. Real property, £10,872. Pop., 1,624. Houses, 363. The property is much subdivided. ...


Berkeswell House is the seat of-T. Walker, Esq. The living is a rectory, united with the vicarage of Barston, in the diocese of worcester. Value, £976.* Patrons, the Misses Shirreff. The church is Norman. There are a neat endowed school with £50 a year, recent alms-houses with £155, and other charities £45.

Berkswell through time

Berkswell is now part of Solihull district. Click here for graphs and data of how Solihull has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Berkswell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Berkswell, in Solihull and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8573

Date accessed: 18th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Berkswell ".