Place:


Beaudesert  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Beaudesert like this:

BEAUDESERT, a parish in Stratford-on-Avon district, Warwick; in the eastern vicinity of Henley-in-Arden, near the Stratford canal, 4½ miles W by S of Hatton r. station. Post Town, Henley-in-Arden, under Birmingham. Acres, 1,285. Real property, £2,563. Pop., 172. Houses, 40.-A small village, of the same name as the parish, was formerly a market-town. ...


A strong castle was erected here by Thurstane de Montfort, soon after the Conquest; but was completely destroyed in the wars of the Roses. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £320.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church has a Norman chancel, an early English nave, and a perpendicular tower. Richard Jago, born in 1715, the author of "Edge-Hill" and other poems, was a native.

Beaudesert through time

Beaudesert is now part of Stratford on Avon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stratford on Avon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Beaudesert itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Beaudesert, in Stratford on Avon and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8568

Date accessed: 24th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Beaudesert".