Place:


Barcheston  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barcheston like this:

BARCHESTON, a village and a parish in Shipston-on-Stour district, Warwick. The village stands on the verge of the county, at the river Stour, 1 mile SE of Shipston-on-Stour, and 7½ NE of Blockley r. station; and was a place of some consequence at the Conquest. The parish includes also the hamlet of Willington; and its Post Town is Shipston-on-Stour. ...


Acres, 1,475. Real property, £2,609. Pop., 190. Houses, 41. The property is divided among a few. The manor was purchased, in the reign of Henry VII., by William Willington; and passed to the family of Sheldon. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £240.* Patron, the Rev. G. D. Wheeler. The church was re stored in 1869.

Barcheston through time

Barcheston is now part of Stratford on Avon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stratford on Avon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Barcheston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barcheston, in Stratford on Avon and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8560

Date accessed: 20th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Barcheston ".