Place:


Swindon  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Swindon like this:

SWINDON, a chapelry in Wombourn parish, Stafford; on the Stafford and Birmingham canal, 4¼ miles NW of Brierley-Hill r. station Post town, Wombourn, under Wolverhampton. Pop., about 600. The living is a p curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £100. Patron, the Vicar of Wombourn.

Swindon through time

Swindon is now part of South Staffordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Staffordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Swindon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Swindon in South Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8546

Date accessed: 12th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Swindon ".