Place:


Stowe  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stowe like this:

STOWE, a parish, with three townships and parts of four others, in the district and county of Stafford; 2 miles E of Weston r. station, and 6½ ENE of Stafford. Post town, Stafford. Acres, 5,347. Rated property, £7,734. Pop., 1,267. Houses, 271. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £85. Patron, Mrs. Mould. The church was partly restored in 1866. The parish includes parts of Heywood and Hixon chapelries. There are an endowed school with £17 a year, and charities £16. See Chartley.

Stowe through time

Stowe is now part of Stafford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stafford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stowe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stowe, in Stafford and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8540

Date accessed: 16th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stowe ".