Place:


Ansley  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ansley like this:

ANSLEY, a parish in Atherstone district, Warwick; on the river Bourne, 5 miles W of Nuneaton r. station. It has a post office under Atherstone. Acres, 2,869. Real property, £5,023. Pop., 685. Houses, 160. The property is not much divided. Ansley Hall belonged ouce to the Ludfords, and belongs now to the Astleyys; and it stands in an extensive park, which abounds with both natural and artificial beanties, and contains a her mitage and a Chinese temple. ...


The hermitagc was formed out of an ancient oratory, and was the place where Whar ton wrote his lines, "Beneath this stony roof reclined," and the Chinese temple was constructed by Sir W. Chambers, and contains a monument of the Purefoy family, brought from Caldecote church. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £116.* Patron, the Rev. Theoph. Sharp. The church is partly Norman, has a fine square tower, and is in good condition. There is an Independent chapel. Charities, £47.

Ansley through time

Ansley is now part of North Warwickshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Warwickshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ansley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ansley in North Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8527

Date accessed: 02nd July 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ansley ".