Place:


Port Einon  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Port Einon like this:

PORTEYNON, or Porth-Einion, a village and a parish in Swansea district, Glamorgan. The village stands on a bay of its own name, 1 mile N of Porteynonpoint at the S E extremity of the Gower peninsula, 12 miles S W of Loughor r. station, and 15 W S W of Swansea; and was once noted for smuggling. ...


The parish contains also the village of Overton; and its post town is Swansea. Acres, 1, 136; of which 80 are water. Real property, £701. Pop., 297. Houses, 67. The property is divided between two. P. bay is an encurvature of about 2½ miles, and lies exposed to the S E. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. Davids. Value, £121.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church wasreported in 1859 as very bad.

Port Einon through time

Port Einon is now part of Swansea district. Click here for graphs and data of how Swansea has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Port Einon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Port Einon, in Swansea and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8512

Date accessed: 06th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Port Einon ".