Place:


Shenstone  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shenstone like this:

SHENSTONE, a village and a parish in Lichfield district, Stafford. The village stands on an eminence 3½ miles S by W of Lichfield r. station; is a seat of petty-sessions; and has a post-office under Lichfield, and a fair on the last Monday of Feb. The parish contains also seven hamlets, and comprises 8,451 acres. ...


Real property, £17,723. Pop. in 1851, 2,043; in 1861, 2,131. Houses, 436. The property is considerably divided. S. Hall, S. House, S. Moss, S. Lodge, Aston Hall, and Fotherley Hall are chief residences. An ancient castle stood on a spot now called Castle-Field. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £488 Patron, the Rev. Dr. Peel. The church was rebuilt in 1853. The vicarage of Stonnal is a separate benefice. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £136.

Shenstone through time

Shenstone is now part of Lichfield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lichfield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shenstone itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shenstone, in Lichfield and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8509

Date accessed: 24th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shenstone ".