Place:


Sandon  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sandon like this:

SANDON, a village and a parish in Stone district, Stafford. The village stands near the river Trent, the Grand Trunk canal, and the North Staffordshire railway, 4¾ miles S E of Stone; has a station on the railway, a post-office under Stone, and a fair on 14 Nov.: and givesthe title of Viscount to the Earl of Harrowby. ...


The parish contains also Smallrice hamlet, and part of Dayhills; and comprises 3, 640 acres. Real property, £6, 502. Pop., 590. Houses, 108. The manor belonged to Earl Algar; passed to Hugh Lupus, the De Malbancs, the Vernons, the Staffords, the Erdeswicks, and others; and, with Sandon Hall, belongs now to the Earl of Harrowby. An obelisk, 75 feet high, erected in 1806, to the memory of W. Pitt, stands on an eminence in S. Hall park; and a Gothic shrine, containing two tablets to S. Percival, is in a grove on the E side of the park. Anaction, between the parliamentarians and the royalists, was fought at Hopton-Heath in 1642. Good building-stone is quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £355.* Patron, the Earl of Harrowby. The church is ancient. Charities, £7. Erdeswick, the antiquary, was a native.

Sandon through time

Sandon is now part of Stafford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stafford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sandon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sandon, in Stafford and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8504

Date accessed: 26th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sandon ".