Place:


Rolleston  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rolleston like this:

ROLLESTON, a township and a parish in Burton-upon-Trent district, Stafford. The township lies on the verge of the county, near the river Dove, 1¼ mile S by W of Tutbury r. station, and 3 N W by N of Burton-upon-Trent; and has a post-office under Burton-upon-Trent. Real property, £5, 222. ...


Pop., 608. Houses, 130. The parish contains also the township of Anslow, and comprises 3, 847 acres. Real property, £8, 151 . Pop., 956. Houses, 204. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with R. Hall, belongs to Sir O. Mosley, Bart. The Hall is a meet for the Hoar-Cross hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £664.* Patron, Sir O. Mosley, Bart. The church is ancient, was restored in 1845, and has a tower and spire. The p. curacy of Anslow is a separate benefice. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school with £37 a year, and alms-houses and other charities with £158.

Rolleston through time

Rolleston is now part of East Staffordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Staffordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rolleston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rolleston in East Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8491

Date accessed: 01st March 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rolleston ".