Place:


Mavesyn Ridware  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mavesyn Ridware like this:

MAVESYN-RIDWARE, a parish in Lichfield district, Stafford; on the river Trent, the Grand Trunk canal, and the Trent Valley railway, near Armitage r. station, 3¼ miles ESE of Rugeley. It contains the villages of Blithbury and Hill-Ridware; and its Post town is Rugeley. Acres, 2,475. Real property, £4,920. ...


Pop., 462. Houses, 115. The manor belonged anciently to the Malvoisins, and belongs now to Lord Leigh. Mavesyn-Ridware Hall was the seat of the Chadwicks, and is now a farm-house. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £438. * Patrons, Messrs. Chadwick and Lane. The church is an ungainly modern building, with an old tower; and an aisle adjoins it, containing monuments of the Malvoisins and the Chadwicks. Charities, £12.

Mavesyn Ridware through time

Mavesyn Ridware is now part of Lichfield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lichfield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mavesyn Ridware itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mavesyn Ridware, in Lichfield and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8487

Date accessed: 04th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mavesyn Ridware ".