Place:


Quarnford  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Quarnford like this:

QUARNFORD, a township-chapelry in Allstonefield parish, Stafford; adjacent to Derbyshire and Cheshire, 4¾ miles S S W of Buxton r. station. It contains the village of Flash; and its post town is Buxton. Acres, 3, 330. Real property, £1, 181. Pop. in 1851, 665; in 1861, 549; Houses, 130. The manor-belongs to Sir John Crewe, Bart. A silk mill and a flax mill are at Gladbach. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £85. Patron, Sir. J. Crewe, Bart. There are a Wesleyan chapel and an endowed school.

Quarnford through time

Quarnford is now part of Staffordshire Moorlands district. Click here for graphs and data of how Staffordshire Moorlands has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Quarnford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Quarnford in Staffordshire Moorlands | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8482

Date accessed: 18th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Quarnford ".