Place:


Penn  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Penn like this:

PENN, a village and a parish in Wolverhampton district, Stafford. The village stands 2½ miles W S W of Bilston r. station, and 2 S S W of Wolverhampton; and has a post-office under Wolverhampton. The parish comprises the townships of Upper P. and Lower P. Acres, 3, 986. Real property, £12, 693. ...


Pop. in 1851, 1, 160; in 1861, 1, 765. Houses, 356. The property is much subdivided. P. House belonged to the Bradneys, and passed to the Pershouses. The hardware manufacture is carried on. A section of Upper P., containing a pop. of 852 in 1861, was constituted a chapelry, underthe name of St. Philip, in 1859. The head living is a vicarage, and that of St. P. is a p. curacy, in the diocese of Lichfield. Value of the former, £226; * of the latter, £90. Patron of the former, the Bishop of Lichfield; of the latter, the Rev. W. Dalton. The parish church is good. The church of St. P. was built in 1860, at a cost of £3, 994; is in the style of the 14th century; and consists of nave, S aisle, transept, and chancel, with vestry and tower. There are an endowed school with £115 a year, alms-houses with £39, and other charities £8.

Penn through time

Penn is now part of Wolverhampton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wolverhampton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Penn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Penn, in Wolverhampton and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8478

Date accessed: 08th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Penn ".