Place:


Pennard  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pennard like this:

PENNARD, or Pennarth, a parish in Swansea district, Glamorgan; on the E side of Oxwich bay, 6½ miles S W by S of Swansea r. station. Post-town, Swansea. Acres, 2, 292; of which 45 are water. Real property, £2, 102; of which £150 are in quarries. Pop., 321. Houses, 65. The property is subdivided. ...


P. Castle belongs to the Edwardian times; but is now reduced tolittle more than a bold gateway, with rude flankingtowers. The coast has been much dis integrated by these a; and now has extensive sands where formerly therewas good land. There is a coast-guard station. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. Davids. Value, £79. Patron, T. Penrice, Esq. The present church is good; and a former church is represented by some tracesamong the sands.

Pennard through time

Pennard is now part of Swansea district. Click here for graphs and data of how Swansea has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pennard itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pennard, in Swansea and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8461

Date accessed: 25th May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pennard ".