Place:


Onecote  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Onecote like this:

ONECOTE, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Leek parish, Stafford. The village stands on the river Hamps, 4¾ miles E by S of Leek r. station. The township includes the village, and extends into the country. Real property, £4, 958. Pop., 463. Houses, 90. The chapelry contains also the township of Bradnop; and its post town is Leek. ...


Real property, £9, 471. Pop., 917. Houses, 175. The property is all in one estate. Narrowdale here is a rocky vale so deep that sunshine doesnot reach its bottom even at midsummer. The Mixoncopper mine is here; but ceased about 1820 to be worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £100.* Patron, the Vicar of Leek. The church is good, and has a tower. Charities, £11.

Onecote through time

Onecote is now part of Staffordshire Moorlands district. Click here for graphs and data of how Staffordshire Moorlands has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Onecote itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Onecote in Staffordshire Moorlands | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8446

Date accessed: 19th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Onecote ".