Place:


Oakamoor  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oakamoor like this:

OAKAMOOR, or Oakmoor, a chapelry in Cheadle parish, Stafford; on the river Churnet and on the North Staffordshire railway, 3 miles E N E of Cheadle. It has a station with telegraph on the railway, and a post-office under Stafford. The statistics are returned with the parish. The inhabitants are employed chiefly in cotton manufacture, and in collieries and brassworks. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £40. Patron, the Rector of Cheadle.

Oakamoor through time

Oakamoor is now part of Staffordshire Moorlands district. Click here for graphs and data of how Staffordshire Moorlands has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Oakamoor itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oakamoor in Staffordshire Moorlands | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8436

Date accessed: 19th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Oakamoor ".