Place:


Norbury  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Norbury like this:

NORBURY, a village, a township, and a parish, in the district of Newport and county of Stafford. The village stands near the Grand Junction canal, 2½ miles E of the boundary with Salop, 3¼ N W of Gnosall r. station, and 4 N E of Newport. The township includes the village, and extends into the country. ...


Pop., 217. Houses, 45. The parish contains also the township of Weston-Jones and the hamlet of Loynton. Post-town, Newport, Salop. Acres, 3, 313. Real property, £4, 157. Pop., 364. Houses, 71. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £483.* Patron, the Rev. T. E. Buckworth. The church is ancient, has a brick tower, was restored in 1827, and contains many ancient effigies. There are a national school, and charities £50.

Norbury through time

Norbury is now part of Stafford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stafford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Norbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Norbury, in Stafford and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8425

Date accessed: 12th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Norbury ".