Place:


Firle  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Firle like this:

FIRLE (West), a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Lewes district, Sussex. The village stands under Firle Beacon, 1½ mile SE of Glynde r. station, and 4½ SE by E of Lewes; and has a post office, of the name of Firle, under Lewes.—The parish comprises 3, 392 acres. Real property, £3, 934. ...


Pop., 631. Houses, 111. The property is divided among a few. Firle Place, a Tudor mansion, is the seat of Lord Gage. Firle Beacon rises behind that residence, and commands a fine view of the coast. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Beddingham, in the diocese of Chichester. The church has six brasses of the Gages, from 1569 onward; has also some other monuments; and is very good.—The sub-district forms a poor-law union, with workhouse in West Firle parish; and contains eight parishes. Acres, 14, 494. Pop., 2, 379. Houses, 416.

Firle through time

Firle is now part of Lewes district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lewes has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Firle itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Firle, in Lewes and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8417

Date accessed: 15th April 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Firle ".