Place:


Canol  Cardiganshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Canol like this:

PARCEL-CANOL, a township in Llanbadarn-Fawr parish, Cardigan; near Aberystwith and the river Rheidol. Acres, 4, 325. Real property, £4, 188; of which £2, 448are in mines. Pop., 604. Houses, 116.

The location is that of the house, "Cwm Canol" (SY23 3HA), taken from modern property market information; and is also where the name "Cwm-canol" appears somewhat illegibly on our nineteenth century First Series mapping. Additional information about this locality is available for Trefeurig

Canol through time

Canol is now part of Ceredigion district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ceredigion has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Canol itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Canol, in Ceredigion and Cardiganshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8411

Date accessed: 24th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Canol".