Place:


Marchington  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Marchington like this:

MARCHINGTON, a village and a township-chapelry in Hanbury parish, Stafford. The village stands adjacent to the river Dove, the North Staffordshire railway, and the boundary with Derby, 3½ miles ESE of Uttoxeter; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Stoke-upon-Trent.-The township comprises 2,710 acres. ...


Real property, £5,079. Pop., 484. Houses, 106. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to J. Cudden, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £120.* Patron, the Vicar of Hanbury. The church is a good brick edifice, with a low tower; and contains a monument to Sir Walter Vernon. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, an endowed national school with £16 a year, and charities £45.

Marchington through time

Marchington is now part of East Staffordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Staffordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Marchington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Marchington in East Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8404

Date accessed: 16th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Marchington ".