Place:


Leigh  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Leigh like this:

LEIGH, a parish in Uttoxeter district, Stafford; on the river Blythe and the North Stafford railway, 4½ miles WNW of Uttoxeter. It contains the hamlets of Church Leigh, Lower Leigh, Upper Leigh, Dodsley, Painley-Hill, Middleton-Green, Lower Nobut, Upper Nobut, and Withington, and the township of Field; and it has a station on the railway, and a post office under Stafford. ...


Acres, 7,055. Real property, £10,796. Pop. in 1851,1,074; in 1861,986. Houses, 199. The property is much subdivided. Much of the land is in pasture. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £748.* Patron, Lord Bagot. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1846, at a cost of £8,272; is cruciform, with central embattled tower; and contains an altar-tomb, of 1523, to Sir John and Lady Aston. There are a national school for girls, an endowed school with £67 a year, and charities £87.

Leigh through time

Leigh is now part of East Staffordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Staffordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Leigh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Leigh in East Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8391

Date accessed: 16th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Leigh ".