Place:


Lapley  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lapley like this:

LAPLEY, a township and a parish in Penkridge district, Stafford. The township lies 1 mile E of the Liverpool and Birmingham canal, 1½ N of Watling-street, and 3½ WSW of Penkridge r. station. Pop. in 1851,251. Houses, 47. The parish contains also the township of Wheaton-Aston, which has a post-office under Stafford. ...


Acres, 3,450. Real property, £10,189. Pop. in 1851, 962; in 1861,828. Houses, 181. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Major Swinfen. A Black priory was founded here, in the time of Edward the Confessor, by Algar, Earl of Mercia, as a cell to St. Remigins abbey at Rheims: was transferred, by Henry V., to Tong college, in Salop; and went, at the Reformation, to Sir Richard Manners. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Wheaton-Aston, in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £220.* Patron, Major Swinfen. The church has a tower, and was recently restored. The church of Wheaton-Aston was rebuilt in 1857. There are a national school, and charities £26.

Lapley through time

Lapley is now part of South Staffordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Staffordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lapley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lapley in South Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8383

Date accessed: 13th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lapley ".