Place:


West Dean  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Dean like this:

DEAN (West), a parish in Westbourne district, Sussex; on the river Lavant, 5¼ miles N of Chichester r. station. It includes the tything of Chilgrove, and has a post office under Chichester. Acres, 2, 290. Real property, £3, 504. Pop., 681. Houses, 132. Cannon House was the seat of Lord Selsey. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, not reported.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Chichester. The church is cruciform; and has some mural monuments.

West Dean through time

West Dean is now part of Chichester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chichester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Dean itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Dean, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8326

Date accessed: 06th April 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Dean ".